Tolfenamic acid is a non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) belonging to the fenamate class.
Major mechanisms of action involved are suggested to be:
- Inhibition of cyclo-oxygenase: the enzyme which uses arachidonic acids as substrate, leading to the formation of inflammatory mediators such as prostaglandins E2 and I2.
- Inhibition of lipo-oxygenase: the enzyme leading to the synthesis of leucotrienes.
- Inhibition of some eicosanoids by action at the receptor levels.
- Inhibition of chemotaxis of polymorphonuclear cells.
- The existence of an enterohepatic cycle has been shown.
Dogs: Treatment of acute and chronic inflammatory conditions. Analgesic and antipyretic.
Dosage and Administration:
The recommended dosage is 4mg of tolfenamic acid per kg bodyweight once daily by oral administration with food.
Each 60mg tablet treats 15kg bodyweight.
Each 120mg tablet treats 30kg bodyweight.
Tolfedine tablets may be used as an alternative to Tolfedine 4% injection.
A suggested administration regime is an initial treatment with Tolfedine® 4% followed 24 or 38 hours later by Tolfedine tablets for up to 3 days. Enterohepatic circulation of tolfenamic acid has been demonstrated and may account for its prolonged activity in cats and dogs. For long term dosage administer 3 days per week.
Do not use in animals receiving corticosteroids or other NSAIDs. Do not use in animals suffering from cardiac, hepatic or renal disease, where there is a possibility of gastrointestinal ulceration or bleeding, where there is evidence of blood dyscrasia.
Avoid use in dehydrated, hypovolemic or hypotensive animals as there is a potential risk of increased renal toxicity.
Use in animals under 6 weeks of age or in aged animals may involve additional risk. If such use cannot be avoided, animals may require a reduced dosage and careful clinical management.
- 60mg x 16 tablets in blister packs
- 60mg x 96 tablets in blister packs
- 120mg x 72 tablets in blister packs
Store in a dry place below 25°C.
Prescription only medicine. Keep out of reach of children.
Registered pursuant to the ACVM Act 1997, No A7409
RESTRICTED VETERINARY MEDICINE
Tolfedine - For Animal Treatment Only